Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Cheerful, Yellow Dresser

We needed a dresser that fit in the littles' room. As you know, we are going to be licensed for two children between the ages of newborn - 5 years. That could be a combo of a baby and a toddler, or two toddlers or a toddler and a kindergartner. And the kids will share a room. Optimizing space is key.
The dresser needs to work as storage for clothes and double as a changing table if some little babies are placed with us.

My sister battled it out at a Goodwill auction for us. She developed a bidding strategy and psyched out the other bidders to win this lovely dresser. As you can see from the photo, it has fantastic mid-century, tapered legs with brass feet.

Goodwill dresser


Sister, with the help of brother, delivered the dresser to our garage. Then we enlisted the family to help us refinish it. First they sanded the finish to rough it up a bit and take off the top layer of paint. Then they wiped it down with a wet cloth and painted the primmer on. (We did a couple coats of primer)

Once the primer was dry mom and sister painted the yellow.  Once the yellow was dry I wanted to add a shiny, lacquer like finished. My first attempt was with a clear spray lacquer. That turned out to be a complete waste of time because is was spotty and there was spray residue that I kept having to sand off.  I marched myself back up to the hardware store and bought a can of clear lacquer paint. I did a couple coats of that on the drawer faces and dresser. It turned out great.
Lesson learned - spray lacquer is no one's friend.
Mom painting those drawers
Sister working on the perfect sheen.




old legs, new legs

After researching the perfect height for a changing table according to Consumer Reports (between 36-44 inches), I decided we needed to boost the dresser up a few inches. With some internet stalking, I found this leg manufacturer and I purchased some taller legs and painted them the coordinating yellow. Then attached them to the finished dresser.


The old knobs had to go and so I found amazing white & black knobs that would tie into the room perfectly.  However, the screws were too long and the screws were attached to the knob. I couldn't go purchase new screws - so I had to bust out the Dremel. I donned the appropriate protective wear, attached the metal-cutting disks to the Dremel and went to town.

I mean business.
Sparks are flying.

You're toast, long screws.


Then we moved the dresser to the littles' room. Nick added a few nails to stabilize the dresser a bit.


Look at those babies!
TA DA!  Here's the final product in the kids' room. It's currently empty awaiting little clothes, socks and whatnot. I'm considering lining the drawers with a fun pattern. Any liner recommendations?


Here's the breakdown:

  • Dresser: Goodwill
  • Rotary sander: 80 grit and 200 grit disks
  • Oil-based primer: oil based Zinsser Cover Stain
  • Used both bristle brushes and small foam rollers for primer/paint. The roller was my favorite.
  • Paint: Sherwin Williams color Cheerful
  • Legs: Waddell Manufacturing
  • Top coat: good ol' polyurethane 
  • Dremel: #426 disks
  • Knobs: Black and White Striped Knob, Anthropology (shout out to E who got me the hook up.)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Team Upatham/Kaden is uh-mazing when it comes to redoing furniture :) Can't wait to see rest of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, it looks adorable. We're so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ridiculous! When do you guys get your own show on HGTV?

    ReplyDelete