Friday, May 18, 2012

Gas Station Lady


I just had one of those moments that stops time. I was at a gas station at a very busy intersection. In the back of the car was Molly dog on her way to the vet and little Miss Olive.  I was in a hurry to get my gas and go. I put the car in park, turned off the engine and began to grab my wallet when I saw her. She was a young, disheveled looking woman approaching the packed gas station. This is a typical occurrence in our city and I was trying to avoid eye contact as she walked across the parking lot towards the gas pumps.  With my wallet in my hand, I hopped out of the car to begin fueling and I heard her voice behind me. “Excuse me, ma’am?”
It was her. The woman I had seen from across the busy parking lot. Of all the people gassing up their cars, she chose me.
Tall, Black hair, caramel skin, she was younger than me and had a beautiful face but sad expression. She immediately went into her story. She asked me if I could give her a dollar. By the perfect rhythm in her voice, I knew she had said this speech several times before she found me. She told me she lived nearby and was just trying to buy some food because she was so hungry. And then she rubbed her belly.
I followed her hand to her stomach. She was pregnant. I would guess maybe 6 or 7 months along.

My heart stopped.

My head turned to look at Olive happily in her car seat laughing at Molly dog.
I said I could give her my Clif bar. She asked what that was and I explained it was a snack bar and it had a blueberry flavor. I asked for her name. Veronica. She was annoyed with me, her voice tone changed. I handed her my Clif bar and then I said something without even realizing what I just said.
“Veronica, can I pray for you?”
She wouldn’t look at me, but she said Yes.
So right there, I put my hand on her arm and prayed for her in the middle of that busy gas station. I asked the Lord to protect Veronica and to protect her baby. I asked for provision for her and the baby and that she would be kept safe. I prayed that she would feel loved.
I said Amen and she quickly walked off. My heart was racing. I started to pump my gas and looked up to try and watch for Veronica to see which way she was walking. I started thinking of a million other questions I wanted to ask her. Did she have a place to sleep? When was she due? Could I buy her a meal?
But she was gone. I couldn’t see her anywhere.

I stood there and pumped my gas with my face in the open car window watching Olive. I tried to hold the tears back. It could have been her in that belly. I wondered if around this time last year if someone had met Olive’s mom and asked to pray for her. Did they give her a snack bar to eat?

Honestly, I don’t know much about Olive’s mom, but I hope that she was shown kindness while she was carrying her.
If you get a second, would you please pray for Veronica and her baby?

5 comments:

  1. Heavenly Father, lift up Veronica's spirit and give her the strength to survive whatever travails await her in the coming months; give her the fortitude to deliver a healthy baby when the time is right, and above all, Lord, let your servants surround her with light and mercy, that Veronica might accept the help she needs in times of strife for her child's sake. But above all, Lord, thy will be done, not mine, for yours is the wisdom, the power and the glory. Thank you for this gift, Jaklin! Today you took me all the way to Proverbs...

    Proverbs 31:8-9 - Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crying. And praying. Thanks for sharing - there are so many forgotten every day.

    ReplyDelete