Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Call: Round 2

Yup. It's a car seat carrier in a pack n play crib.
We've been waiting for the call exactly 2 weeks to the day, when my phone rang at 3:00pm today. By 4:15pm I was picking up a newborn little girl at the hospital.
We might have mentioned this before - but we have no idea what we are doing. We are novice parents, to say the least.  But God knew this and put very competent friends in our lives.

As I'm flying out the door to drive across town to the hospital, my amazing friend Amy K. calls and offers to run to the store for me.  Amy is a mother of 3 little girls and well versed in the ways of child rearing.  It then occurs to me that I will need a infant car seat in order to bring the little child home. Swift thinking Amy offers to run to Target, purchase the reputable infant car seat for me, and meet me across town in the hospital parking garage (Did we ever mention God has blessed us with the most amazing friends ever).

I pull up at the hospital and we rendezvous in the parking lot. Amy skillfully, and with great ease, installs the car seat into my car and then shows me the other items she purchased at the store for the new baby.  "You're going to need this," and she pulls out a sweet, warm little outfit for her. It never would have occurred to me that I needed to dress the child before we left the hospital. Then Amy pulls out a new swaddling blanket and fleece throw to cover her up with... Then I was off to the NICU to meet this new baby with infant carrier, outfit and appropriate blankets in tow.

Amy made me look good. All the nurses gave me compliments on bringing her a proper outfit and blankets for her first ride home. I smugly smiled as if I knew exactly what a newborn needs. After filling out a mountain of paperwork and getting a quick "how to care for a newborn" lesson from the RN, I drove home with a precious baby girl in my back seat. Nick met us in the driveway and carried the sleeping baby into the house. And for safety's sake, put the car seat in the pack n play. That's a good idea, right?
Again - we have no idea what we are doing. Other shout outs to go Saryn, Rachel, Sarah, Holly & TJ for dropping by tonight with baby wisdom and essential supplies. What would we do without this very generous and loving community in our lives?

Not a name for a baby... or an adult for that matter
We still don't have a pseudonym for her yet. We are still trying some out on her - but nothing has stuck yet. Nick keeps attempting to tell me that B-list celebrity names are great pseudonyms. I don't think any baby should be called Snooki or Joan Rivers... ever. No doubt her little personality will come out soon and a perfect name will emerge.

She's perfectly healthy and a great snuggler. She's currently sleeping and making those adorable little baby squeaks next to me in the living room (no worries, we eventually did take her out of the car carrier). She's pretty great and we are thankful to be the one's caring for her.

I think a baby sling or carrier is going to be key.
Parents, any brand suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. Yay, a tiny baby! Oh, how I love newborns... For a sling/carrier, I recommend some kind of ring sling. The brand Maya wrap or Sleeping Baby may be the most affordable. I recommend NOT getting a Baby Bjorn. They are hard on your back/shoulders and are not good for the baby's hips. I don't know why they are so popular. The ring sling also has the benefit of being adjustable for you and Nick and for any size baby or toddler. There's a couple days' learning curve to get used to using it, but what isn't that true about with a new baby? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, congrats! This is amazing!

    Carriers - we loved the moby when Lu was very little, and progressed to a ring sling and then the bjorn and then an ergo as she got bigger and stronger. But the moby (while the most difficult to get the hang of) was perfect for a cuddly newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Moby wrap is incredible. And they are a great company that has donated many wraps to Healing Faith for us to use in Africa, so it is always nice to support great companies. Congrats on your little one and don't worry, we were ALL new parents at one point in our family journey! (this is Kari, not Jason!)
    http://www.mobywrap.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about calling her "pumpkin?" Wasn't she born right around Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you guys and can't wait to meet that sweet girl! I think you should start choosing 80's TV show characters...Jessie Spanno, Rudy Huxtable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I say forget the carrier in the pack n play...take that baby out and don't put her down, haha! Spoil the poo out of her. You will never regret holding her too much, but you might regret not holding her more.

    A big fat *AMEN* to the Moby wrap. That thing is like BABY MAGIC. I have not met a baby yet who would not calm down in a properly worn Moby. All my babies have fallen asleep or laid their head down to rest within minutes of being placed in one whether they were tired or not.

    Not to mention, it is perfect for keeping baby warm and away from nosy people who want to put their flu-ridden hands all over a fall/winter baby.

    That's my advice...be very judicious about who holds her/breathes on her, etc, and use lots of hand washing.

    Oh, and we need footsie and hand shots...or top of sweet heads, or something...Im dying to see her little details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MOBY ALL the way! Just watch youtube videos and you'll be wrapping in no time. I have used it for newborn up to a 35 lb beast of a 2 year old.....never hurt my back. So easy to adjust him on my hip and be hands free. I honestly like it even better for the bigger ones. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete