Sunday, April 10, 2011

Let the nesting begin!

It was only a matter of time.  Today, on an innocent shopping trip, Nick and I found this.

I gasped out loud when I saw the lamp and even hopped up and down for joy when I noted the cheap price. It seemed to call to me from the shelf. The elephants told me right there - in the middle of the store, "Yes, decorate the kids room in grey and yellow."  The white elephants are cheery and gender neutral and there is a lovely yellow pop of color.  I was drunk with decorator-delight.

DRUNK, I TELL YOU!

Well, when you decide to buy one thing for the kids room, that leaves the door wide open to buy more things. We quickly found 2 additional items in the book section that we couldn't pass up.
Flash cards & children's DVDs. 
Up until this point, we haven't purchased any kid things. I don't know why. I guess we weren't ready. We were probably protecting our hearts. The concept of being parents becomes more real when that recent kid purchase is sitting in your guest bedroom. Looking at you. Waiting to be opened.
It's the beginning of the end. Presently our house is modern, full of breakable objects and free of toys and pint-size laundry.  Nick and I were talking about our timeline. If we were having a biological baby, I'd be 5 months along. Our due date is a mere 4 months away. Egads!
I think I'm nesting. I've purchased items for children, I am feeling expectant and I'm ready to start putting grey paint swatches on the wall.
Deep breath.

6 comments:

  1. Kate has those flash cards. She loves them! The lamp is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For two years of waiting the only thing we bought at all was a car seat and diapers (and they didn't even end up being the right size.) For me it was a matter of life continuing normally and not a constant reminder that we were waiting. Exactly what you said, protecting my heart. Then we got a call and we thought "What were we thinking! Why weren't we ready!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have have those flash cards also! Ruth loves them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In love with the lamp....yeah! Mommyhood is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the lamp and love that you're going with the grey and yellow theme. So bright and cheery for some precious little ones that will be coming into your home. I love that you're nesting and patiently expecting for some sweet babes to come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how exciting! 5 months pregnant - puts it into perspective! Get ready for a grand adventure - you guys are great parents already!
    WE love you!

    ReplyDelete