Thursday, January 19, 2012

Guest Blogger: What Ashley Knows

Hi,
I'm Ashley, Jak's sister.  You may have noticed her lack of blog posts lately.  Yeah, me too.  She has a newborn.  So, I figured I would help her out and give everyone an update. 

Here’s what I know:

Rockin' the Moby
Baby Olive is doing wonderfully well.  I don't have children, so my point of reference is based on my college nannying experience.  But, from what I can tell, she's pretty mellow and a "typical" infant.  Maybe I'm just a proud aunt gushing- but, she is really beautiful and great at cuddling- at such a young age too!  She also looks really fabulous in pink, which goes well with her complexion. 


I know that Jak and Nick have the most amazing friends and network of support.  Seriously, it's been mind-blowing to watch God use folks who have generously poured their love onto Little Bird and Baby Olive.  From the bottom of my heart- thank you for loving them and helping them!  Seriously, you guys rock!   
Another thing I've noticed, fostering has changed my family.  Not just Jak and Nick, but my entire family.  First, Jak and Nick are real parents, not just kind hearted folks who foster.  Watching this all unfold is an odd experience really.  There wasn't a pregnancy or baby showers for me to attend and I didn't get to see my sis pregnant, swollen and miserable.  But, I saw her holding her foster daughter and there it was--- a mother and a child. 

These showed up on our front door shortly after O arrived 
I know that my 22 year old brother graduated from college in December without the ability to feed or burp a baby.  Nick and I quickly remedied this over the Christmas holiday.  Keith has always been the thoughtful type. So on a recent trip to Dallas, when O woke up at 4 a.m. for a feeding, Keith, now confident in his skills, bounded out of bed and up the stairs to assist Jak.  I, on the other hand, slept right through it. 

Yes, he is in an adult onesie. 
I know that I don't have to become a single foster parent at 27 to help the orphan.  After watching Jak and Nick go through caring for Foster Baby No. 1- Little Bird, I decided to become a CASA, or a Court Appointed Special Advocate.  If you aren't fostering, and you have a heart for the orphan, YOU SHOULD DO IT.  Basically, you volunteer to see a child through the process of being taken away from their family and being placed in foster care.  It requires about 20-30 hours a month of your time. Go here to find out about it in your area:  http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm.  But, seriously, DO IT. 

What I don't know:

I don't know what's going to happen to Baby O.  I don't know if she will be reunified with her parents.  I don't know if I will get to spend more Christmases with her.  I do not know how to help my sister and brother-in-law heal after what could be the loss of their 2nd child.  I don't know if I will ever feel convinced that reunifying her with her biological parents is what is best for Olive….if that happens.      

Proud aunt Ash, in  a toga......it's a long story
But, when confronted with that overwhelming sense of "Oh crap.  Is my sister a sadist?  Why would she intentionally put herself into situations that could be very painful in the near future?" It hits me: That is exactly what Christ did for me.  

How humbling.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Great job Ash. Nick and Jaklin, love y'all a lot. God definitely has provided such an awesome support system for y'all. He is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick and Jaklin, what you guys are doing is amazing. I wanna be like you when I grow up. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete