Sunday, January 23, 2011

Flip my living room

Design challenge: Create the bones of a child friendly living room for children 0-5 while maintaining the Hollywood Regency style of the living room.

As I lazed around the house this weekend, I took stock of my living room.  It occurred to me that we need a designated play space. When we visit homes with children, they all have those play areas in a central room of the house.  It's the station where the toys and other toddler accouterments live.

I've commissioned some plans for the living room "flip".
Impressive, right?

I suspect we will need to find a new, loving home for my beloved Barcelona chairs. 
You complete me.
Or maybe we can just relocate them to my bedroom? Right?  I'm not ready to part with them just yet.


I think the living room corner will be home-base for toys and the like. 

Sorry doggies.
We informed the dogs that they will be losing their napping nook due to eminent domain. Shortly after our conversation, they filed an appeal.  (poorly spelled I might add)

 I think my first project will be this little beauty. Isn't it brilliant?  
FOAM TILES!!!

You can paint the interlocking foam tiles to match your decor.  A-MA-ZING.   (You can get all the details of the project on this blog)  Now, I'll have to brainstorm patterns that are gender neutral, chic and require little artistic ability.  

Maybe something like this? 


Designers, Parents, Baby-Sitters - I need your help.
 What other stylish & practical ideas do you have for me?  I need storage ideas. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those chairs are BEAUTIFUL.

    We have cycled through a lot of different kids' storage possibilities since Grace was a baby (baskets, bins, etc) but what we have now and what I like the best is the TROFAST system from IKEA. Very flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used Ikea too our is the MARKOR I like using bookshelves with space for baskets and boxes to conceal brightly colored plastic as much as possibly. I also want a trunk for the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Defintely pick neutral color/pattern scheme since you have no clue. Stripes can be nice--fun, but still classy. For out foster room we had a striped comforter in shades of green and brown. (Uhm, actually if you are looking for a twin bedset, and this sounds interesting to you, let me know. It needs a good home.)

    3. We found some storage boxes at Container Store that are dark brown and textured--nice for storage on living room shelves becuase they blend in. Baskets can be good for that too, as well as ottomans that open for storage.

    4. Love the trunk idea! I really want a nice trunk that goes with our decor to put in the living room.

    ReplyDelete